Long ago, in a galaxy far, far away, my family moved from Pasadena, Texas, to the wilds of Newton County on the Texas-Lousiana border. I had just turned 13 at the time, and was torn between getting to live “in the woods” against leaving friends and familiar neighborhood. To help me “adjust”, my parents bought me probably my best birthday present ever – a Marin 81G bolt action .22 rifle!
As a “kids gun” the old Marlin got a lot of “experience” and probably less TLC than it might have wanted. It killed hundreds of squirrels, rabbits, coons, possums, a few nutria, and an occasional fox. I once hit a dove flying with it, and it put down more than it’s fair share of feral hogs. After all these adventures, it collected quite a bit of rust on the metal parts and some scratches and dents in the wooden stock.
After my “success” in refinishing the Herter’s .44 magnum, I was looking for another project, and found the old Marlin to be staring me in the face. Several years ago I had re-finished the stock, sanding to bare wood, trying my hand at stock checkering, re-varnishing it, and painting on a black end cap. Now it was time to address the metal
First step was removing the old finish and accumulated rust with Naval jelly, then taking the extra step of using a wire brush on a hand drill and steel wool to smooth it all out.
Again using the rust brown solution from Laurel Mountain, I changed the color and the look of the action, and I hope better protected it from ever getting so bad again!
I did not want the dark “plum brown” color I strived for on the Herter’s, so I stopped after only three treatments of the rust brown solution. I think this coloration complements the stock very well.
To complete this “re-birth”, I again sanded the stock and put several coats of satin polyurethane on it.
I REALLY like the way this project turned out, and it will hopefully last until my grandson takes his turn at owning it!